United Utilities

0843 816 6829

If United Utilities is your water provider and you have a question or a problem, simply contact the United Utilities customer services team on 0843 816 6829 today.

About United Utilities

Founded in 1995 after a merger between North West Water and NORWEB, United Utilities is the largest listed water company in the United Kingdom. The water and wastewater networks across North West England are controlled by the company.

3.2 million homes and 200,000 businesses have their water managed by United Utilities, which owns 184 reservoirs. The company is committed to exceeding standards. This means they are constantly trying to minimize pollution and waste, and investing millions of pounds into updating and maintaining infrastructures.

United Utilities Contact Numbers

Find the helpline you need to call to reach United Utilities listed in the handy table below.

Phone Number
Opening Times
Customer Services
0843 816 6829
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 8pm
(Saturday) 8am – 4pm
Head Office
0844 453 0214
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 8pm
(Saturday) 8am – 4pm
0843 816 6831
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 8pm
(Saturday) 8am – 4pm
Bills Helpline
0843 816 6832
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 8pm
(Saturday) 8am – 4pm
Water Meter Helpline
0844 453 0169
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 8pm
(Saturday) 8am – 4pm
Issue Reporting
0843 816 6829
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 8pm
(Saturday) 8am – 4pm


Customer Services – 0843 816 6829

Dial 0843 816 6829 to reach the main helpline for United Utilities. Call this number for any general queries. These might be information requests about available services or your account status. Maybe you have a disability or a language barrier, or know somebody who does, so you want to sign up for extra support with Priority Services.

If you are unsure which helpline you need, customer services will be able to direct you to the right department.


Head Office – 0844 453 0214

For individual problems on a more serious level, you may want to contact the Head Office directly. Already called customer services and not received the response you wanted? Then go ahead and call the Head Office in Warrington, on 0844 453 0214.

Escalate your complaints or give any feedback you might have straight to the people who run United Utilities.


Complaints – 0843 816 6831

While United Utilities does its best to provide high-quality service, there will always be times they fall short. So let them know your objections by calling 0843 816 6831 with your complaints. Was a worker’s behaviour on a house call less than stellar? Or is the amount you’re being charged wrong? Maybe you’ve frequently had the same issue over and over that doesn’t seem to be fixed. Contact this number to get your issues resolved.


Bills – 0843 816 6832

Probably the biggest reason to contact United Utilities is regarding your bill and payments. Call 0843 816 6832 to ask questions about your account or to make amendments to it. Whether you want to arrange to pay by cheque, cash or Direct Debit, if you want to change to paperless billing, or you just need to update your personal details – you can get it all sorted out by dialling this number.


Water Meter – 0844 453 0169

Monitor how much water you use with a water meter, and save money by keeping track. If you want to get a water meter installed or if you have a problem with your water meter, dial 0844 453 0169. Call for advice on how to read your meter or more information on water usage. Even if you decide within two years that you don’t want your water meter anymore, call to organize removal and cancellation.


Issue Reporting – 0843 816 6829

Call 0843 816 6829 to make United Utilities aware of any public issues that could be health hazards. Report them as soon as possible because these will need to be fixed quickly. Such issues might be leaks in roads or footpaths, damaged or open manhole covers, or suspicious behaviour such as fake workers trying to gain access to your house.


Other Ways to Contact United Utilities

If you need another way to get in touch with United Utilities, tweet the customer service team @unitedutilities. You can also check this twitter account for any service issue updates.

Additionally, there are several online forms you can fill out regarding specific issues:

Otherwise, you can write a letter to United Utilities Head Office addressing your issue. If you have already made a complaint to United Utilities about their services and they haven’t resolved it, then you should write to the independent body Consumer Council For Water.

United Utilities Head Office
Haweswater House
Lingley Mere Business Park
Lingley Green Avenue
Great Sankey
Consumer Council For Water
Consumer Council For Water
First Floor
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4AJ